Flannel Friday: Mary Wore Her Red Dress

7 Oct

No, this flannel isn’t all about me.  I don’t actually happen to have a red dress. But maybe I need to get one, for when I sing this song? Because what we’re talking about here is the kids’ song, “Mary Wore Her Red Dress” (<—– listen here). I made this flannel years ago:

Mary wore her red dress,

Red dress, red dress,

Mary wore her red dress,

All day long.

It usually continues with more red clothes, but instead I made clothes of various colors for us to sing about. Pink hat, green shoes, blue pants, etc.:

Red dress, green shoes (I love my clown shoes), purple mittens

After singing the song with the flannel pieces, I ask each child to tell me one article of clothing they are wearing and what color it is, as well as their name. We then sing the verse for them: “David wore his spiderman shoes, spiderman shoes, spiderman shoes, David wore his spiderman shoes, all day long.” Everyone who wants to participate can! Obviously, this isn’t feasible if you’ve got a really large group, but if it’s 15 or fewer, it can work. And be fun!

Pink hat, yellow shirt, blue pants, brown (sparkley) socks

Combine this with a singing of Hap Palmer’s “What Are You Wearing” and books like Margaret Chodos-Irvine’s Ella Sarah Gets Dressed, Jan Brett’s The Mitten and Jonathan London’s Froggy Gets Dressed and you’ve got yourself a mighty fine clothing-themed storytime!

6 Responses to “Flannel Friday: Mary Wore Her Red Dress”

1. 1234 More Storytimes October 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm #

What a great idea to use the other colors too! And I love the extension of singing about the kids clothing as well. So much fun!

2. missmaryliberry October 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Not yet…but maybe I’ll have to make one! She’ll look like me, of course.

3. Katie October 7, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

I wound up just singing this in storytime this week. (Fell asleep before making a flannel for it at home.) But it was utter awesomeness!

4. Anne (@sotomorrow) October 7, 2011 at 11:24 am #

Can you play this song on the uke yet? Is it even uke-able? I don’t know these things. But you need to teach my musically challenged self how to play. You know, from several states away.

5. Sharon October 7, 2011 at 11:19 am #

I hear red is the new black… You should get a red dress! This is cute.Is there a Mary to put these clothes on?

6. Library Quine October 7, 2011 at 9:31 am #

Mary has a very smart wardrobe!