Flannel Friday: Lisa Can’t Sleep

27 Jan

A quick FF post for y’all today. I still haven’t finished my new flannel, but I found this one in my files (I had forgotten all about it) and thought I would share. It’s a slightly changed version of the story Lisa Can’t Sleep by Kaj Beckman. I think the book is out-of-print, but I was able to find one via ILL.

Basically, the story is this. Lisa is ready for bed:

Lisa’s mom tells her to go to sleep. But she can’t, Lisa says, without her doll! She gets doll, puts it in bed. Mom again asks her to go to bed, but Lisa says the doll can’t sleep without the rabbit.  This continues – mom telling Lisa to go to bed and Lisa needing one more thing – until the bed looks like this:

Finally Lisa says she can’t sleep because there’s no room for her in the bed (I let the kids guess this part). She chooses one item, her doll, and finally goes to bed.

Here are all the items I made (not all of them appear in the book). I freehanded everything, and it shows a bit, I think. The bed is a graphic made in MS Word, then attached to manila folder and covered in contact paper. I added a felt bedspread to give it some shape and texture.

There it is! Enjoy! And doesn’t Lisa have lovely slippers?

The lovely Anne over at So Tomorrow (one of the original Flannel Friday-ers) is hosting today’s round-up. Or click the “Flannel Friday” link to the right to see all the flannels of the past (sounds ghostly…ooooohhh!) organized in visual form on Pinterest.

8 Responses to “Flannel Friday: Lisa Can’t Sleep”

1. Tracey February 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Love this! I want to use a version of this one for bedtime storytime. And seeing Amy’s comment above made me think of bringing in the stuffed animal thing my brother used to insist on sleeping with to show the kids. And the slippers are pretty-perfect.

2. Sharon January 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

a bed story kids can relate to… getting out of going to sleep. What’s a girl to do when you can’t fit on the bed? nicely done

3. Amy January 28, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

I loved seeing all those things piled in the bed. My sister used to sleep with a few books, a few stuffed animals, and a special blanket… good memories! 🙂

4. fallingflannelboards January 28, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Such a cute flannelboard! I like the felt bed spread; it does add some shape and texture.

5. K @ Storytime Fun January 27, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

Cute story! Reminds me of The Napping House… Very crowded bed! 😉

6. clevinso January 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

I love it! And it gives me an idea! awesome.

7. Katie January 27, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

Lisa *does* have lovely slippers! And her nightgown is my favorite cover. This is a great one for a bedtime theme or a stuffed animal sleepover!

8. molliekay January 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

What a great story to flannelize. Lisa does indeed have lovely little slippers!